Monday, October 17, 2022

CONVENTIONS RESEARCH: KEY INFLUENCES

IN THIS POST: KEY INFLUENCES, WE SAW vs. WE DID

IDENTS INFLUENCE

Big 5 companies had some long idents ranging from 10 seconds to 35 seconds, however, certain indie companies have shorter idents such as A24 (7 seconds). 


Perfect World Pictures is another rather short ident with 9 seconds. Working Title has the same length.


(More information) Our idents:

  • Hollyhock Film: 6 seconds
  • Smokey Production: 8 seconds
  • FatCat Productions: 4 seconds

TITLES INFLUENCE

More information here.



Initial idea







FIRST SHOT

In Psycho by Alfred Hitchcock, a technique called Hand of God is used. It consists of creating narrative enigma through a series of ELSs panning back and forth, zoning in on a certain place little by little. 


We tried this with panning shots of the street where the abandoned house was located. It was difficult without a crane or a drone as you could only get so far away from the building before showing the houses around, breaking the narrative that she was stranded with nowhere to go.

MISE-EN-SCENE

As this story takes place during Halloween (a slasher cliche) there were many opportunities for mise-en-scene. Certain props broke verisimilitudes such as the kettle and radio. However, candlelight and decorations made framing more interesting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to this blog! Sources I've used...

Hi! I'm Ambre, I chose Smokey Productions as my AS media course company name. This blog is a collection of the work and research I'v...