Monday, October 17, 2022

CONVENTIONS – titles, idents, production context

THIS POST CONTAINS A VODCAST ABOUT MOVIE OPENING CONVENTIONS:

I looked at the movie Wish You Were Here (David Leland, 1987). I looked at other movies (eg. Tyrannosaur, Pretty In Pink) to compare the conventions and the uncommon aspects of the opening 3 minutes. I also looked at narrative signifiers and potential genre anchorage




IDENTS

Idents are short, usually animated clip at the start of a film that identifies the studio, production company, and distributor, it’s often accompanied by sound or music.

They usually last between 10 and 30 seconds.

BIG 5 example

  • 1.      Paramount (20 seconds)
  • 2.      Disney ident 2015 (15 seconds)
  • 3.      Warner bros (15 seconds)
  • 4.      Universal (20-25 seconds)
  • 5.      Sony Colombia (35 seconds)

Yesterday 2019 (Working Title)

  • Perfect World Pictures – 6 seconds
  • Working title – 9 seconds

2 idents

In this film, both idents include an audio bridge with the OST (opening soundtrack).

World’s End (Working Title)

  • Universal – 20 seconds
  • Working title – 9 seconds

It’s typical to see 3-4 idents.

It’s important to note that studio idents usually get priority and are longer in seconds than distributor idents. If idents already take up a considerable amount of time, studios will be credited in opening titles in a much smaller way.

TITLES

See Fonts and Titles post for more. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to this blog! Sources I've used...

Hi! I'm Ambre, I chose Smokey Productions as my AS media course company name. This blog is a collection of the work and research I'v...